I want to use my wide variety of technical skills and educational experience to engage people and inspire them to create amazing things.
Senior Software Engineer
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
2016 – 2018
- Architected and implemented portions of a system collecting large volumes of publicly available information.
- Mentored junior developers.
- Developed tutorials and documentation for client-facing APIs.
- Maintained legacy system before transitioning users to its replacement.
Software Developer and Technology Consultant
2001 – Present
- Developed full-stack web applications as a consultant for Offerpop, Color Splash Studio, University of Michigan, and others.
- Built custom video and networking solutions on embedded systems, including Raspberry Pi and Arduino devices.
- Consistently completed projects within estimated timeframes.
- Recorded and edited professional videos for school and community events.
- Created WordPress plugins and themes.
We Can Code IT
Software Development Instructor
- Designed and taught full-time boot camp courses in web development using C#, MVC, and Entity Framework.
- Addressed needs of a diverse student population and adapted teaching to meet various learning styles.
- Rebuilt curriculum to meet accelerated goals based upon employer feedback.
- Acted as product owner and mentor to guide students through building complex final projects following Scrum methodology.
The Iron Yard
Data Science Instructor and Online Content Author
Durham, North Carolina
2015 – 2016
- Taught intensive 12-week full-time boot camp courses in web development and data science using Python, Django, and Pandas.
- Prepared and helped place novices in junior developer positions based on needs of local employers.
- Planned and led crash course workshops introducing new developers to the joy of programming with Python through the use of turtle graphics.
- Mentored students through the planning and execution of marketable final projects.
- Created online lessons covering a wide variety of topics relating to web development.
Hathaway Brown School
Director of Center for Technology & Invention
Shaker Heights, Ohio
2010 – 2015
- Oversaw and mentored programs encouraging and recognizing students to pursue engineering and design, including a high school robotics team.
- Laid the groundwork for the creation of a schoolwide digital fabrication lab, securing funding and administrative support.
- Used low-power systems such as Raspberry Pi and Arduino microcontrollers in applications ranging from computer vision to hacking remote control cars.
Upper School Technology Department Chair and Teacher
2008 – 2010
- Created and taught computer science classes for 5th to 12th grade girls.
- Served as a key member of the Technology Review Committee, spearheading major changes including campus-wide wifi and a 1:1 program for students in grades 3 to 12.
- Provided technical support for faculty and staff while promoting more technology independence via workshops and community user groups.
- Presented at educational technology conferences on using the Python programming language as part of an introductory computer science course.
Computer Programmer I
2005 – 2006
- Developed, profiled, and optimized .NET web applications.
- Enhanced developer tools for automated project building.
- Transitioned a large codebase from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0.
- Identified and fixed errors in existing code.
University of Michigan
Residential Computing Systems Consultant
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2002 – 2005
- Provided technical support and assistance to students in campus computing sites.
- Designed and led workshops in residence halls to help students maximize their use of technology.
- Planned and implemented a web-based portal to facilitate residential staff collaboration.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Online Master of Science in Computer Science
2014 – 2016
(No degree conferred)
- 3.72 GPA
- Coursework focused on artificial intelligence, robotics, and computer vision.
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Science Engineering in Computer Science
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2001 – 2005
- 3.60 GPA, Magna Cum Laude
- President of University of Michigan Gilbert & Sullivan Society, a student-run organization that produces comic operas.
- Member of Girls in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, a co-ed organization promoting female participation in the field.
- Research assistant to Professor Jason Daida on work involving artificial intelligence and “spiritual machines.”
- Programming Frameworks/APIs/SDKs: Android, Celery, Cocoa, Django, Entity Framework, Flask, MVC, .NET, OpenCV, OpenGL, Pandas, PyGame, Rails, WordPress, WPILib
- Programming Practices: Agile development, collaboration using Git/SVN/CVS, continuous integration, programming puzzles (e.g., Coffee Time Challenges, Code Kata), Scrum, test-driven development
- Other Experience: Educational technology integration, curriculum development, network administration, robotics, web development, video editing, sound engineering, photo manipulation, digital illustration, 3D modeling
Open Source Projects
- CalFiller, a web-based tool for unusually repeating events
- Lost Cities Scorekeeper, a tool for tallying up scores in the card game Lost Cities
- Fighting Unicorns FIRST Robotics Team 2399, robot control and computer vision
- SiriServer, drop-in replacement for Siri on older iOS devices
- VroomEngine, 2D game engine for Python
- Mobi2Kindle, tool to convert MobiPocket files for use on Amazon Kindle devices
- Computer Science Teachers Association, founding member of Ohio chapter
- Association for Computing Machinery, member
- National Center for Women & Information Technology, mentor
- FIRST Robotics Competition, team mentor
- FIRST Lego League, event support and match commentary